Is exchanging Philippine Peso abroad while travelling better than exchanging Dollar? Is it better to bring Philippine Pesos abroad?
Which is more advantageous?
Our conclusion is that it is much better to exchange US dollars abroad than Philippine Pesos. as it would result to getting more of a destination country’s currency.
We did a sample computation based on the following assumptions:
- Let’s say you will travel to Thailand and thus will need Thai Baht (THB).
- You have a budget of PHP 20,000.
- Czarina Forex (Philippines) and Super Rich (Thailand) will be used as the money changers as they usually provide better rates than others.
- Exchange reference date is February 19, 2016.
Scenario 1: Exchanging Philippine Peso Abroad (Thailand)
Let’s say you decided to bring PHP 20,000 to Thailand and exchange it to THB.
Convert PHP 20,000 to THB. Super Rich buying rate for PHP was THB 0.735 on February 19,2016
By exchanging Philippine Peso abroad to Thai Baht, you would have THB 14,700 . (PHP 20,000 * (THB 0.735 / PHP1))
(Super Rich Thai Baht Forex Rate for Philippine Pesos)
Scenario 2: Bring US Dollar Abroad (Thailand)
Let’s say you decided to bring USD to Thailand to exchange for THB.
- Convert your PHP 20,000 to USD. On February 19, 2016, Czarina Forex was selling USD for PHP 47.80.
USD 418.41 (PHP 20,000 * (USD 1 / PHP 47.80))
(Czarina Forex Philippine Peso to US Dollar Exchange Rate)
- Convert your USD418.41 to THB. On February 19, 2016 Super Rich Thailand was buying USD for THB 35.58
You would have THB 14,887 if you brought USD to Thailand (USD 418.41 * (THB 35.58 / USD 1))
Comparing both scenarios, you would have lost THB 187 (PHP 233) by exchanging Philippine Peso abroad rather than US dollars.
It is important to note that although Thailand was used as the example country, the conclusion that it is better to bring US Dollars than Philippine Pesos in other country applies as well.